Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our employees have formed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council, which is heightening awareness and understanding of diversity and cultural competency. The council has worked for years to raise awareness and has recently worked to take things to the next level, building Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals into the company's Strategic Plan and sets annual goals and objectives. Council members also monitor progress and recommend modifications to company policies and practices.
Here are some of the specific things we’re doing:
- We’re working with and supporting partner organizations in their efforts to address racial bias and health disparities in communities throughout Vermont.
- We’ve pledged that our members who identify as LGBTQ will have continued access to health care without fear of discrimination.
- Our ongoing support of LGBTQ issues includes support of Outright VT and other community groups We recently worked with the Pride Center of Vermont to offer a LGBTQ+ Best Practices training for employees.
- We implemented the We CARE training program, developed to promote a culture of caring and to improve the skills we must use to create that experience for our members.
- We’ve created a series of programs for our employees called “Listen to Learn: Exploring Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Vermont” in which we highlight various cultural groups and issues, and encourage dialogue.
- We provide interpreters for group benefits sessions with clients who have populations for whom English is not their first language. We also offer phone- based interpreter services for members when they interact with our employees.
- Health Care Non-Profit Signs Pledge Against LGBTQ Discrimination in Vermont
- Insurance Non-Profit Pledges to Match Employee Fundraiser Supporting Local Racial Justice Organizations
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Supports Gender Affirming Care
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Announces Student Loan Forgiveness Serviced by GradFin
Local Organizations We Support
- Listen Up! Project
- Girls on the Run Vermont
- Outright Vermont
- Downstreet Housing & Community Development
- The Vermont Futures Project
- View more