Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Careers
Join Our Team
Working at Blue Cross
We've long recognized that our employees are our most valuable resource. In addition to our competitive salaries, we offer one of the most competitive and attractive benefits packages available in Vermont. Here’s an overview of what we offer:
- A choice of two health plans. Employees can choose a consumer-driven health plan with a health savings account largely funded by the company, or a co-pay based plan with a deductible for inpatient/outpatient services. Both plans include vision coverage.
- Premium-free dental coverage. Our dental coverage includes up to four free cleanings per year for employees and their dependents.
- An award-winning wellness program. Employees who join our STRIVE Health and Well-being Program are eligible for a $500 year-end incentive if they complete required program components.
- Mental well-being. Employees have access to free referral services, extensive online resources, and three free counseling sessions for themselves and their families through our Employee Assistance Program.
- Domestic partner coverage. Health and dental coverage are available to an employee’s domestic partner.
- Paid holidays and time off. Employees receive 20 days of combined time off (CTO) and nine paid holidays per year.
- Retirement program. We offer a 401(k) retirement program with an automatic company contribution of 3 percent of salary and a company match of 60 percent for every dollar contributed, up to 6 percent of the employees' pay.
- Tuition reimbursement. We will reimburse up to $7,000 in tuition, fees, and books per year.
- Student loan repayment program. We match up to $1,200 annually to help pay off an employee’s personal student loans or their child or spouse’s student loans.
- Life insurance coverage. Employees receive life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment coverage at no cost. Employee dependents and domestic partners are covered too.
- Short- and long-term disability coverage. Our short-term disability coverage provides two-thirds of salary. Long-term disability pays 50 percent. We fully pay for both types of insurance.
- Dependent caregiver program. We provide a $1,000-annual-per-family benefit to pay for a variety of caregiver expenses, including childcare services for children up to age 13 and adult-care services for disabled adult dependents.
- Maternity leave. New mothers are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid time off – seven weeks paid in full, and five weeks paid at two-thirds salary.
- Paternity leave. New fathers are eligible for 12 weeks of time off. Seven weeks are paid at two-thirds salary.
- Adoption. Employees who adopt a child are eligible for 12 weeks of time off, paid at two-thirds salary and up to $5,000 in reimbursement for adoption-related expenses.
- Family/caregiver leave. Employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid time off at two-thirds salary.
- Medical leave. Employees are eligible for up to 26 weeks of paid time off. The initial week is paid at two-thirds salary followed by 11 weeks at full salary. Short-term disability covers the remaining 14 weeks at two-thirds salary.
Health plans all want their members to improve their health, but we “walk the talk” by offering our employees many ways to be well and healthy. These include:
- An on-site fitness facility with showers and lockers
- Fitness and wellness classes offered free of charge or at subsidized rates
- Free nutritional counseling
- Free counseling services
- Subsidized year-round CSA (community supported agriculture) shares for fresh, healthy food from local farms
- On-site cafeteria with a variety of healthy menu choices
- Employee participation in wellness events such as the Corporate Cup run/walk, National Walk at Lunch Day, and the Dragon Boat festival.
Vermont is a small place with a big sense of community. Vermonters know their neighbors and take care of each other. Our workplace also has a strong sense of community involvement.
- Many employees volunteer to serve on our Blue Crew, to represent us at community events.
- Through our Blue Crew Days program, employees volunteer to work for non-profit organizations. Employees can take one day off per year with pay to volunteer.
- Our Employees’ Association plans fun activities and events, such as Mud Season Mondays, to help cultivate friendships among employees.
- A wide variety of employee recognition programs spotlight employee contributions and commitment.
- Clubs and committees give employees an opportunity to pursue personal interests and socialize. They include the Yarn Club, the Hiking Club, and the Sustainability Committee.
We’re all about health and wellness, and there is no better place to live a healthy lifestyle than Vermont. In fact, our state is often ranked as the healthiest in the nation.
Vermont is known as the Green Mountain State, and the mountains play a big role in our lifestyle. The sweeping mountain view from our office, high on a hill overlooking the capital city, will entice you to get outside often. Many lakes and ponds are nearby. Downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, biking, kayaking, and paddleboarding are all easily accessible minutes from our office.
When it’s time to kick back and relax, Vermont has a lot to offer too. Locally-produced foods and beverages are in abundance at restaurants. There’s excellent community theater throughout the region, as well as venues where you can hear live music. You can also explore many galleries with local artists’ work and museums.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont strictly prohibits discrimination against or by any Blue Cross and Blue Shield employee on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, place of birth, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, genetic information or marital status. Blue Cross and Blue Shield will not discriminate against an employee having a positive test result from an HIV related blood test, nor will Blue Cross and Blue Shield request or require an applicant or employee to have an HIV-related test as a condition of employment. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont will not discriminate against protected veterans.