Medicare Enrollment Process

Woman walking her dog on a Vermont trail

You’ve reviewed the parts of Medicare and available plans - now you are ready to enroll. Let us help walk you through the steps of enrolling for Medicare.

There are three times you can enroll for Medicare - your Initial Enrollment Period, a Special Enrollment Period, and the General Enrollment Period. To learn more about these enrollment timeframes, visit the Who Qualifies for Medicare page.

It is important to enroll in your Medicare plans at the right time! If you wait too long, you may have to pay a lifelong penalty on your premiums. View and compare plans.

Have Questions?

We're here for you

We’ll help you find the plan that best fits your needs.

Connect with Us

Connect with Us

Want to chat with our local team about Medicare? We can connect you with an agent who can answer your questions or explore our plans with you. Note: all form fields are required.

Communication Preference:

By submitting my information on this form, I give permission for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont to contact me by phone or email to answer questions and discuss available Medicare plan options. Information may be provided by phone, mail or email by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont licensed, authorized agents.


8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

Steps to Enroll in Medicare

  1. Enroll in Medicare Parts A & B

    For Medicare Parts A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance), call Social Security toll free at (800) 772 1213 (TTY: (800) 325 0778). You can also set up an appointment at your local Social Security office. You’ll need to provide proof of age, such as a birth certificate.

  2. Protect Yourself Against Out-of-Pocket Costs

    Generally, Medicare pays 80 percent of the Medicare-allowed amount—leaving you to pay the remaining 20 percent. You can enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan (also called Medigap Plan) to help cover the costs not paid by Medicare, like co-insurance, co-payments and deductibles. This is done through private insurance companies after enrolling in Medicare Part A and Part Medicare.

    You can enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan through our online enrollment process, by mailing the completed form to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont P.O. Box 186, Montpelier, VT 05601-0186, or contacting our local, licensed agents at (800) 255-4550,option #2 (TTY: 711).

    Enroll in Vermont Medigap Blue

    Vermont Medigap Blue Online Form Vermont Medigap Blue PDF Form

    Enroll in Vermont Blue 65

    Vermont Blue 65 Online Form Vermont Blue 65 PDF Form

  3. Complete Your Coverage with Prescription Drug Coverage

    The final component of the equation is Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D). Medicare Part D plans are available to anyone who is entitled to Medicare Part A and/or enrolled in Part B. To get Medicare drug coverage, you must join a Medicare drug plan through a Prescription Drug Plan (PDP). 

    You can enroll online or by calling the Blue MedicareRx (PDP) team at (888) 496 4178, TTY: 711 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

    Enroll Now

Learn more about available Medicare plans

*By clicking on the Vermont Blue Advantage or Blue Medicare Rx PDP links, you will leave the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont website. 

Y0148_VermontBlueMAPln2_C FVNR 1020