From Katie's Kitchen To Yours: Christmas Tortilla Rollups
Holiday traditions are plentiful with some families singing carols, others decorating together, or watching their favorite holiday movie. For Katie, a plan performance analyst and 17-year employee at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, making Christmas Tortilla Rollups is an important part of her family’s tradition.
Holiday traditions are plentiful with some families singing carols, others decorating together, or watching their favorite holiday movie. For Katie, a plan performance analyst and 17-year employee at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, making Christmas Tortilla Rollups is an important part of her family’s tradition. “I always enjoyed carrying out family traditions and most of ours include food,” she said.
Katie stumbled across the original Christmas Tortilla Rollups recipe on Ree Drummond’s website while looking for something fun and special, yet easy to make. “I don’t want to spend half the day in the kitchen prepping food and missing out on valuable time with my family,” shared Katie. She added, “On Christmas day, I love watching my family open presents and spending time with them. This quick, but festive, recipe allows me to do that.”
While the recipe may be ready quickly, the family tradition is longstanding and brings a lot of joy to Katie and her family. “I started making Christmas Tortilla Rollups when my daughters were little. They love them, and it’s the first thing they ask me to make every year.”
This year, Katie’s trying something new and plans to tweak the original recipe. “I came across recipes where the roll ups are made with spinach wraps, and then stacked in the shape of a Christmas tree with a star on top cut from a yellow pepper.”
Katie’s Christmas Tortilla Rollups
The recipe takes 15 minutes to prepare and serves six to eight people.
- 2 packages (8 Oz. Size) Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1 package (1 Oz. Size) Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 5 Burrito-sized Flour Tortillas
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Diced Finely
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Diced Finely
- 5 whole Green Onions, Sliced Thin
- Mix the cream cheese, ranch dressing mix, and black pepper until totally combined. Divide equally among the tortillas and spread into a single layer all over the surface of each tortilla.
- Spread the mixture on the tortillas, and then sprinkle over the diced bell peppers and green onions. Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve (for at least 1 hour).
- Slice into small wheels and serve.
After making this recipe for years, Katie shared: “The key to this recipe is to make it the day before serving and wrap the filled tortillas in plastic wrap and chill in your fridge overnight. Then slice the tortillas into pinwheels right before serving them.”